A poem by MBALI VILAKAZI.
This poem makes no apologies.
- It will not explain.
- There is nothing complex about this poem.
- There are no similes. Nothing is like anything else. It is simply what it is.
- You will not be able to read it any other way. You will not be able to bring your own reading to it. It will resist you.
- This poem responds.
- This one does not ask for your permission.
- The work of human hands:
- it will speak its truth
- it will step on toes
- It will be important. Legendary. It will take up space. It will be slapped
- down. And kicked. And kicked. And kicked. For not knowing its place.
- This poem does not know its place.
- It kicks back.
- This poem will fight you.
- This poem is a one woman army. It is conflict and close contact. Blood is involved. A 21 gun salute. This poem is the last man standing.
- This poem will do what it has to do.
- You will probably discard this poem. You will distance yourself from it.
- This is to be expected. Who can take such a risk, you say.
- This poem will not be a footnote, though. It can't be sidelined.
- This poem is not a proxy. It can stand alone. It stands alone.
- It stands out.
- This one is what dreams are made of.
- It has a mind of its own. It has a voice. It speaks. It will not be intimidated
- by you.
- The poem will suffer
- The poem will sacrifice
- The poem will sing